Greenwich Village Landmark Judson Memorial Church

by Marie Ennis on September 8, 2015

The scaffolding has just come down from Judson Memorial Church on the south side of Washington Square Park. The building was completed in 1892 to the design of McKim Mead & White and is considered to be an excellent example of Italian Renaissance Eclectic style. Old Structures Engineering assisted William Stivale Building Conservator in assessing the condition of the facade, particularly the terra cotta cornice (last repaired/restored in 1990). The building was scaffolded for his window restoration project which allowed the team to perform a “hands on” assessment of the cornice and other facade elements. Happily only minor structural damage was present; repointing was needed along with delicate pinning and patching repairs. The work was completed by Burda Construction; Edison Coatings supplied the patching materials. Photographs: Mortar and Pinning Samples, Scaffold Being Removed, Restored Cornice.

15_08_18 Pinning Pointing

15_08_18 Overview

15_08_18 TC Detail

Previous post:

Next post: