June 2008

Northern Dispensary

by Old Structures on June 30, 2008

This 1831 structure, built by Henry Bayard and John Tucker, served for over 150 years as a free clinic and is a designated landmark. The original structure includes long-span heavy timber framing and masonry bearing walls; later alterations include cast iron, wrought iron and steel framing. The existing building, empty for six years at the time of the work, was investigated to review conditions and floor load capacity for the feasibility of reuse.